Royal LePage Real Estate Services Ltd./ JOHNSTON & DANIEL DIVISION Brokerage

477 Mt Pleasant Road, Toronto Ontario, M4S 2L9

direct: 416-566-8603

phone: office 416-489-2121

fax: office 416-489-6297

South Annex (Downtown)


HISTORY

The South Annex neighbourhood was subdivided in the early 1850's, on land formerly owned by the Jarvis, Crookshank and Denison families; all of whom played a prominent role in the history of Toronto.

Advertisements promoting Villa and Town lots for sale in the South Annex highlighted " the close proximity to the locality of the new Parliament Buildings". The South Annex was also popularly described as being "situated in the most healthy and pleasant part of the City upon a considerable elevation above the Lake".

The establishment of the University of Toronto just east of here, in the late 1850's, provided the impetus for the building of homes in the South Annex, which took place largely between the 1870's and early 1900's.


OVERVIEW

The South Annex is a vibrant and colourful downtown Toronto neighbourhood. Much of the South Annex's vitality comes from being located right next door to the University of Toronto.

Naturally, many University students, faculty, and alumni rent or own houses in the South Annex. The University population mixes well with the young urban professionals who have been buying and fixing up South Annex houses, giving these old houses new life, and in the process revitalizing this historic Toronto neighbourhood.


HOMES

The signature street in the South Annex is Palmerston Boulevard. Stone and iron gateposts, one on College Street and one on Bloor Street, set the tone for this distinctive boulevard which also features decorative cast iron street lamps, ancient trees and grandiose homes.


Overall, the houses in the South Annex come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Each house is whimsically decorated with Victorian accents that all blend together to form one of the most pleasing streetscapes of any Toronto neighbourhood. Most South Annex homes are built circa 1870s to 1910.


SCHOOLS

(P)        Clinton Street Jr., 460 Manning Avenue, (416) 393-9155

(P)        Montrose Jr., 301 Montrose Avenue, (416) 393-9770

(P)        Delta Sr., 301 Montrose Avenue, (416) 393-9730

(PH)      Collegiate Institute, 286 Harbord Street, (416) 393-1650

(PH)      Central Technical School, 725 Bathurst St, (416) 393-0060

(PRI)     University of Toronto Schools, 371 Bloor Street West, (416) 978-3212

(U)        University of Toronto, St. George Campus, (416) 978-2011

(CA)      Loretto College Secondary School, 391 Brunswick Avenue, (416) 393-5511 or

            South Campus, 783 Bathurst Street, (416) 393-5543

(CA)      St. David, 486 Shaw Street, (416) 393-5238

(CA)      St. Lucy, 80 Clinton Street, (416) 393-5304

Legend: 

(P)
(PH)
(CA)
(PR)
(PC)
(PJ)
(C)
(U)

 

Public School
Public High School
Catholic School
Private School
Private Catholic School
Private Jewish School
College
University



 to   

For Sale or Lease

Property Type

Rooms

Open House

Amenities


Loading Map Search....

     

   
Powered by Lone Wolf Real Estate Technologies (CMS6)